Some quilts take time to finish. Mostly because those other quilt ideas get in the way. Sometimes even those quilts take awhile too. I’m pretty sure I have a box of those “ideas.”
Nine-Boxed’s original story and making details are here, but as I said it sat for awhile and on a quilting exhibition to Sandie’s for another quilt I thought why not just quilt it too. She happen to have this design board already loaded so we went with it.
I’ll admit this quilt has grown on me a bit. I wasn’t so sure I liked it at first and am now kinda wishing as I look at the photo that maybe I could have at the very least thrown it in the dryer for a bit to decrease it, poor thing has been rolled up in the closet for a month or longer.
In person it is really the Carolina Chambray that makes all those bits shine. The blocks consist of a simple nine-patch made improvisationally. Links to a few tutorials on the technique are also available on the original post about this quilt.
My twist was adding in a block when creating the nine-patch block that was entirely made of strip-piecing. I’ve got a whole tote that contains scraps that are strips and they were calling me. There are some goodies in there.
Backing I bought ages ago on sale when Drygoods first opened and for the binding I revisited that scrap strip tote for scraps of binding left over from other quilts.
It has no home yet.
I’m off to market tomorrow and then teaching workshops with Jacquie on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Come join us if you can!